Tuesday, December 04, 2012

WC Education Department adamant on closing 18 schools


Imogen Vollenhoven
3 December 2012

The Western Cape Education Department is continuing with its plans to close 18 schools at the end of the year despite a court bid to stay open.

Education MEC Donald Grant plans to oppose an application by the schools for an interdict preventing closure.

Reasons for the closures include dwindling pupil numbers, multi grade teaching and inadequate infrastructure.

Spokesperson Bronagh Casey adds that the Ministry has received legal papers they have been received last week.  

Casey adds that the Department is currently studying the papers and are taking legal advice.

Further more Casey said that it is an extensive process that requires careful reading and consideration and the Department are planning to pose an application for an interdict.

Casey said the Department will continue to fellow procedure of the closing of all 20 schools in line with national guidelines and legislation and arrangements are going ahead as normal.

Schools are scheduled to  close on the 31st of December 2012.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri