Tuesday, July 05, 2016

ANC finally calls Muthambi and SABC board to account

Mbasa Gqokoma
05 June 2016

The ANC has allegedly summoned Communications Minister Faith Muthambe and the SABC board to enlighten the recent censorship concerns at the public broadcaster.

Muthambe and the board are expected to brief the ruling party on Monday.

It is believed that the statement was made at an ANC press briefing today, which was addressed by the chairperson of the ANC National Executive Committee's sub-committee on communications, Jackson Mthembu.

The press conference was called to discuss press freedom and the SABC.

The SABC and its COO, Hlaudi Motsoeneng, have recently come under fire for choosing not to televise violent protests.

Meanwhile, Democratic Alliance Chief Whip, John Steenhuisen in a statement says, last week he had requested an urgent meeting with the ANC’s Chief Whip Jackson Mthembu to discuss the current crisis at the SABC and to demand answers from the Communications Minister and the SABC Leadership. Steenhuisen says his efforts fell into deaf ears.

He says “The issue can’t wait after elections, it is going to have a massive impact on the free and fair elections with the state broadcaster being abused for political purposes.”

“That committee needs to urgently convene in Parliament and it needs to discuss what steps it needs to take immediately at the SABC to restore some credibility to the public broadcaster ahead of these important elections” Steeinhuisen adds.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri