Hospital baby bottles contaminated wih deadly bacteria
By Kim Saulse
24 May 2010
A probe into the cause of death of the six babies who died at the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital last week, have revealed that the bottles used to feed the infants were contaminated with the bacteria klebsiella.
Parliament’s Health portfolio committee chairperson, Bevan Goqwana, said laboratory tests confirmed that the bottles had been infected with the deadly bacteria.
The tests follow after six babies died within the time frame of a day after suffering a bout of diarrhoea.