The Congress of South African Trade Unions in the Western Cape today said the farm workers in the Western Cape will intensify their strike action.
Some unions met today in Cape Town to discus the way forward after the African National Congress in the Province had called for the unions to suspend the strike in favour of table negotiations.
Provincial Cosatu Secretary Tony Ehrenreich said the workers are going ahead with the strike until their demands are met.
“The discussions are continuing and progress is being made with some good farmers towards resolving the strike in certain areas,If and when we reach an agreement with good farmers in an area and they represent a significant number of farmers, then the strike in those areas will be suspended, with an immediate return to work in those areas.” said Ehrenreich.
The resumed on Wednesday last week after it was suspended last year, with the workers demanding better working conditions and an increase of R150 per day from R69 a day.
Labels: Workers to go ahead with the strike