Thursday, February 28, 2013

President Zuma launched stop rape campaign at Mitchell’s Plain school

Imogen Vollenhoven
28 February 2013
 

 
Today President Jacob Zuma and the Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga launched the stop rape in schools campaign at the Glendale high school in Mitchell’s Plain.

In his address President Zuma highlighted many factors including the fact that South Africa faces a problem of ongoing abuse and violent attacks of defenceless women and children.

President Zuma says that as a country we have to build a more caring society in which the rights of all are respected especially the rights of women and children. President Zuma said that is why government in partnership with the Department of Basic Education and other stake holders are launching the stop rape campaign.

The President also mentions that over 64 000 cases of rape have been reported to the police in 2012. The Minister of Police last year indicated a decrease in the levels of serious crimes but however the levels of sexual assaults are of serious concern.

He adds that today they have come together to say these acts of violence toward women and children must stop. No women or child deserves to be abused in any way, not by means of beating, rape, stabbed, shot or attacked, in South Africa by anyone known or unknown.

Rape and sexual attacks on boys and men must also be stopped highlighted President Zuma. He also mentioned that the community must take time to read the constitution in order to be aware of their rights as human beings.

President Zuma was accompanied by the Basic Minister of Education Angie Motshekga and she said that this is a very important campaign, not only are they concerned about violence in South Africa but also the high level of bullying in schools.


Motshekga said that the bully of today will be the abuser of tomorrow. She added that this campaign should help the country and the schools to focus on bullying, so that this culture of violence can come to and end.

Minister Motshekga said on the Morning of the 1st of March at 08:00, over 10 million learners will assemble in their schools and take a stand against violence and abuse. Schools are also requested to educate children about the evils of crime and abuse, if this is done children will protect women, children and respect and uphold everybody’s rights.

Motshekga appealed for the support of all South Africans and parents in order to make this campaign work and also added that the stop campaign shouldn’t only end on the 1st of March but should continue throughout the education of our children.

After the official launch President Jacob Zuma, Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga, Deputy Minister of Education Enver Surty, MEC Donald Grant, Mr Y Abramjee and the Principle Mr A Chothia signed the pledge to curb violence in the country.

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri