20 September 2013
The Congress of South African Trade Unions
in the North West said it has learnt
with great disappointment about the death of a grade one learner at the Christina School for the Blind in
the swimming pool.
Cosatu Provincial Secretary Solly Phetoe
said this is an indication that the department has failed to implement the
safety measure which came after the investigation which was conducted in 2010 after
four learners died of smoke inhalation.
Phetoe said this is a problem and as Cosatu
they view this is failure by the Education Department in prioritising the blind
learners, because this is not the first incident at the school.
Phetoe added that there must be a full
investigation into this and ensure that those responsible should held
accountable and Cosatu will engage with other stakeholders to try to put up
some case in defence of those learners.
Labels: Education Department blamed for the death of a learner at Christina School