24 January 2014
The African National Congress in the
Western Cape said it
is concerned about the many problems that are still being experienced in the
provincial education department.
These include not enough space to
accommodate learners at schools or learner transport not arriving to collect
ANC Provincial Spokesperson Cobus
Grobler said it is clear that the province does not have enough schools for all
the children in the province.
Grobler said in the Southdrift this
past week there were no busses, the learner transport of the province did not
come to pick up the children. On Wednesday the matrics in that group about 200
learners had to write their first test of the year, and they could not do so.
This is unacceptable and the Western
Cape Provincial Education Department together with MEC Donald Grant should
produce what they promised us,” Grobler added.
In reply the Western Cape Education
Department said over the past five years 70 schools have been built which is a
Ministerial Spokesperson Bronagh
Casey said the during the ANC’s administration it only managed to built 36
schools in the five year period, now the department has already built 49
schools and there are four new schools and 17 replacement schools that are
Casey said we are getting influx of
more learners, every year. Last year alone
we received 17 000 learners from the Eastern
Cape alone, who registered in the Western
Cape for the first time at the beginning of
“Every thousands of learners that we
get in this province additionally it is one new school that they are taking up
in terms of capacity.” Casey added
She concluded by saying that they
have to look at their building projects and see whether there is demand of
increase of learners they need to keep up with the capacity and building 70
schools in the last 5 years its quite an achievement if you compare it to what
the ANC achieved in their 5 years in administration.
Labels: ANC and DA in the Western Cape at loggerheads over education challenges