Thursday, April 16, 2015

74 people arrested and 5 killed in xenophobic violence in KZN

Lusanda Bill
16 April 2015

The Congress of South African Trade Union in KwaZulu Natal says the xenophobic attacks happening in the country are uncalled for and unacceptable.

In a statement Cosatu Provincial Secretary Edwin Mkhize says South Africa is a country with structures and not a banana republic that has no direction.

Mkhize says South Africa comes from a system in which such conducts were encouraged through the so called black on black violence. We also understand that there are other socio-economic matters in this xenophobic attack.

“We must allow the relevant institutions to have the opportunity to address this challenge rather than taking the law into our own hands” Mkhize added.

Meanwhile Police have arrested 74 people in KwaZulu Natal so far in the latest xenophobic violence.

The arrested have been charged on offenses including murder, public violence, business robbery, theft and possession of firearms and ammunition. 5 people have also been killed in the violence.

Colonel Jay Naicker has also made an appeal to those people who are posting false information on social media sites to please stop from doing so.

Naicker says spreading false information on the number of deaths and attacks in the various areas is causing unnecessary panic in communities.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri