The City of Cape Town
yesterday started to assess the extent of the first severe flooding Cape Town
had on Monday and Tuesday.
The city's disaster risk
management centre said a total of 3 836 people in a number of informal settlements
around Cape Town have been affected by flooding.
The areas affected were
Monwabisi Khayelitsha, Strand, Delft Temporary Relocation Area, Kanana in
City’s Mayoral Committee
Member for Safety and Security JP Smith said we are looking at a long winter
and the Weather SA said the range will carry on quite long. So we are hoping
that we will be seeing an improvement from last year when we had about 50 000
people affected by flooding.
We want see that target come
down this year and have less people exposed, that also means that communities must
work with us where we have large land invasions like Siqalo and Marikana, the
reality is that on that private property we cannot implement services and the
best we can do is reactive humanitarian.
Labels: City surveys impact of flooding in the Cape Flats