Bush Radio’s Nigel Vermaas receives a Lifetime Achievement Award

Mbasa Gqokoma
02 December 2015


The National Arts Festival and Business and Arts South Africa announced the winners of the 2015 Arts Journalism Awards in Johannesburg on Monday, naming freelance writer Lwandile Fikeni overall Arts Journalist of the Year.

 The winners list includes ten gold and 23 silver awards made to individual journalists, and a gold and three silver awards to media organisations for their nurturing of arts journalism.

 Additionally, a Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Bush Radio’s broadcaster and writer Nigel Vermaas, citing his commitment to covering music of all genres and to mentoring the next generation of arts journalists.

Vwemaas says…..

Well of course it’s a wonderful thing to have had this. I really don’t think I’m a journalist, I don’t see myself as a journalist”, said Nigel Vermaas
 “I’m more a documentary maker, I think, but I do cover the arts for Bush radio and SAfm and also in print”, said Nigel Vermaas

It’s really wonderful to have received something like this and I think what is really great is the fact that they have an award for arts journalism specifically because they don’t respect the arts as much as they should”, added Nigel Vermaas.

He also added “It’s really a step in the right direction”.


Comments

Popular Posts