Monday, January 11, 2021

Masiphumelele residents received temporary structures following ravaged fire

The first set of fire-affected residents in Masiphumelele received new temporary structures, on Sunday, with the most vulnerable prioritised.

The fire on 17 December 2020 razed more than 1 100 structures in the settlement.

The City of Cape Town’s Mayco Member for Human Settlements, Malusi Booi and Human Settlements MEC, Tertius Simmers have been working with National Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu to ensure relief and aid are fast tracked to residents of Masiphumelele.

The area was declared a disaster area to enable resources to be allocated for the immediate relief and response to more than 5 000 residents affected by the fire.

In a joint statement, by MEC Tertius and Mayco member, Booi: ‘’An estimated R32 million had been made available to provide temporary structures, water and sanitation facilities to affected residents. Residents will also be accommodated on a nearby sports field. Between 30 and 50 temporary structures are expected to be erected each day. The most vulnerable, which includes the elderly and disabled, will be prioritised.’’

‘'I am pleased to see the progress in Masiphumelele to date, which could only be possible through the joint efforts of all three spheres of government, NGOs and the affected community. Residents that move into their temporary structures also receive a mattress, a food hamper, and some basic cooking and kitchen utensils through the joint efforts of all concerned and affected by this fire. As we continue to speedily work toward all affected Masiphumelele residents receiving temporary structures, we shall also work toward longer term solutions for the community,’’ said MEC Simmers.

The Housing Development Agency (HDA) will meet with the leadership on Tuesday to discuss medium to long-term solutions. A Project Steering Committee will thereafter be established.

‘’This is an enormous task and one that must be done with great urgency. If all goes according to plan, all of the temporary structures on the fire-affected site will be handed over by 22 February 2020.’’ said Councillor Booi.

 

Done By: Mitchum George

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri