Friday, August 12, 2022

Accused Parliament arsonist Zandile Mafe trail postponed

The court case of the alleged parliament arsonist, Zandile Mafe has been postponed to September after allegedly refusing to come out to the dock

Mafe was set to appear in his first pre-trial hearing at the Western Cape High Court on Friday, but according to news reports, he was found lying on the floor in his cell and refusing to be taken to court.

Mafe`s lawyer defence attorney, Luvuyo Godla, told the court he didn`t expect this to happen.

While The National Prosecuting Authority`s Eric Ntabazalila said that Godla went to consult with his client, before addressing the court.

“He came back and addressed the court and indicated that he has been on a hunger strike for some time and he is sick and incapacitated and had not been informed as the defence that he was on hunger strike and had been sick," Ntabazalila said.

Mafe allegedly set fire to Parliament’s National Assembly chamber in January and faces charges on housebreaking, arsonist, terrorism and theft.

He was arrested on 2 January at Parliament and will be back in court on 2 September.

 

By Lulama Klassen

 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri