Thursday, August 15, 2024

EFF Deputy President Floyd Shivambu resigns and joins MK Party

EFF Deputy President Floyd Shivambu has resigned as a member of the party. He made the announcement during a media briefing in Johannesburg on Thursday.

PHOTO - X: @EFFSouthAfrica: Now former EFF deputy leader, Floyd Shivambu


Shivambu handed his resignation letter to EFF leader, Julius Malema, on Wednesday.

“Please be informed that I will not renew my membership of the EFF in Ward 44 which is one of the best performing Wards of the EFF in Johannesburg region,” the letter stated.

“I also request to resign my position as Member of Parliament and all positions I hold in the EFF. I will only do so after receiving a go-ahead from the organisation because it is the EFF that deployed me to Parliament,” said Shivambu.

“I believe the aspirations and vision contained in the Organisational Redesign document of the EFF can still be achieved. My non-renewal of membership of the EFF is not a vote of no confidence in the organisation, but a revolutionary act that will allow progressive forces to unite and work towards the agenda for progressive and revolutionary change,” he added.

Shivambu announced that he will be joining former president, Jacob Zuma’s Umkhonto We Sizwe party. The MK Party outperformed the EFF in the recent general elections.

Reacting to his resignation, Malema said ‘’ "When he sent me a letter yesterday [Wednesday], I felt the same pain, that I felt when I heard about my mother's passing, because Floyd to me is not just a comrade, he is a brother, and he will remain a brother even if he pursues his political career differently.

Malema added that the door would always be open, should he wish to return to the red berets.

‘’We formed this organisation together, and I told him that resigning from the EFF is like resigning from himself, because this is his organisation, but I made the offer to Floyd that he is more than welcome to return. So you are not our enemy, we will continue to engage on different political and personal issues.’’

Malema added that he expected more members who were loyal to Shivambu to follow him and join the MK Party. This as EFF MP Mzwanele Manyi also left the party to join the MK Party. Malema assured that those leaving the EFF does not mean the party will close down.

"This is not the end, it's the beginning of a journey because we have turned 10 years. You can rest assured that we are not going to be hurling insults against each other."

PHOTO - X: @EFFSouthAfrica: Now former EFF leader, Julius Malema


In a statement, the MK Party says the two politicians could not have come at a better time.

‘’The onboarding of both these progressive and politically experienced comrades will further strengthen the agenda of the Progressive Caucus. Cde. Manyi and Cde. Shivambu will be deployed respectively according to their strengths and expertise.’’

 

Done By: Esobusi Mkanglewa & Mitchum George

No comments:

Unidentified woman found dead in Mahikeng

Mahikeng police and community members are searching for answers after finding a lifeless body of a woman in Danville outside Mahikeng. Acc...