Thursday, June 24, 2010

Circumcision death toll at 33

By Khanyisa Tabata
24 June 2010

Another would be initiate has died in the Eastern Cape at an illegal circumcision school bringing the number to 33.

Provincial health department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo says this morning the youth died in a village of Moyeni near Libode where one youth died hours earlier.

Kupelo is quoted as saying that last week, representatives from the health department went to the villagers who hid these boys away.

He said when department officials raided the school last week they managed to rescue only one boy, who was still being treated in hospital for dehydration and septicaemia.

Two would-be initiates died yesterday, one at Machibi village near Port St Johns, and the other in the Lusikisiki area.

News of the death came as traditional leaders sought to extend a moratorium on circumcision to the whole of Pondoland.

No comments:

Drunk officer out on bail after he drove into a bus in Mitchell's Plain

A police sergeant was released on R1 000 bail after he drove into a bus in Mitchell’s Plain on Monday morning. SCREENSHOT Western Cape pol...