Friday, June 21, 2024

IEC commissioner accused of fraud was granted R20k bail

The Independent Electoral Commission’s (IEC) Nomsa Masuku has been granted R20,000 bail following her appearance in court on a charge of fraud.

Masuku appeared in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg following her arrest by the Hawks on Friday morning.

The IEC commissioner, who is the former head of the CSI Programme for the "Adopt A School Trust" at Standard Bank, is accused of fraudulently awarding scholarships to friends and family members.  The trust is meant to provide scholarships and bursaries to pupils from schools adopted by the Standard Bank programme.

said Masuku briefly appeared in court on Friday morning.

“Through an intensive probe, the Hawks investigators established that the incumbent flaunted the processes of the trust by awarding scholarships to friends and family members through manipulation of documents and without the approval of the committee with some of the monies deposited directly into her personal bank account to the tune of R1.2 million,” said Hawks’ spokesperson Katlego Mogale

Masuku is set to return to court on 4 September.

 

Done By: Elona Sibunzi

Langa residents alarmed by high rate of robberies

Residence in Langa expressed concern regarding the increase in robberies in the area.

PICTURE: Pixabay


A community meeting was held in Zone 8 on Wednesday, where residents shared their fear of walking either early morning or late at night.

Langa Safety Patrol community leader, Bandile Gcuwa said: “The community members make it hard for us to do our job, there is a lot of dishonesty and protecting perpetrators. They protect the image of the families the perpetrators come from and that is our biggest challenge, it is very frustrating.”

Gcuwa called on the community to report any suspicious activities to local authorities.


Done By Sihle Jezile

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Memorial service held for Khayelitsha constable killed

While the Hawks in the Western Cape are still on the hunt for suspects who killed a police constable in Khayelitsha last week, a memorial service was held for the 30-year-old officer on Thursday.

Akhona Ndzingo was conducting a stop and search operation in Q-Block  at approximately 21:30, last Wednesday,  when he and his colleagues came under attack from an armed suspect.

COURTESY: SAPS


The memorial service, organised by South African Police Service (SAPS) was held at the OR Thambo Hall in Khayelitsha, and was attended by Deputy Provincial Commissioners for Support Services and Crime Detection, Major General Preston Voskuil and Major General Bongani Maqashalala were accompanied by the City of Cape Town District Commissioner, Major General Vincent Beaton, Provincial SAPS management, colleagues, friends and family.

COURTESY: SAPS


The memorial service was preceded by a wreath laying ceremony at the Khayelitsha police station where constable Ndzingo was stationed.

 

COURTESY: SAPS

Done By: Esobusi Mkangelwa

Accused in Khayelitsha mass murder says he wasn't there

One of two suspects arrested for the Khayelitsha mass murder of four people, including three children, at a barber shop in Site C, more than a week ago, says he has an alibi and footage will prove he was not at the scene.

Athule Mtsha and Sithisa Masiko appeared at the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court, for the third time, on Wednesday, in connection with the killing.

PICTURE: Pixabay


The two men face four counts of murder, 11 attempted murder, two counts of illegal possession of firearms, two counts of illegal possession of ammunition and a count of robbery with aggravating circumstances.

NPA spokesperson in the Western Cape, Eric Ntabazalila, said the state agreed to provide video footage after the legal representative of one of the accused said it would show it was not him at the crime scene.

‘’The confirmed that it will provide the summary of facts which link the accused to the charges preferred against them, on 24 June 2024.’’

The case has been postponed to the 2nd and 5th of July for their bail application.

‘’The State will oppose this Schedule 6 bail application as it believes that their release will in all likelihood endanger public safety, they will commit Schedule 1 offences, will attempt to evade justice, interfere and intimidate witnesses. The State also believes that their release on bail will undermine the criminal justice system and the bail system and may lead public disorder,’’ said Ntabazalila.

Earlier the court issued an order, after media applied to record the proceedings, that the faces of the legal representatives and the State Advocate not to be published. It also ordered the faces of the accused not to be published due to the sensitive stage of the investigation.

‘’This may change at a later stage and the media may be required to bring another application when the situation has changed. This point was emphasised twice during the court sitting i.e. at the beginning of the case and at the end of the case. On 2 July 2024, the media is expected to set up 15 minutes before the start of the bail application. The court committed to adjourn the court to allow the media to set up as it does not want any disruptions during the proceedings,’’ said Eric Ntabazalila, NPA spokesperson in the Western Cape

The duo also appeared in a separate matter with four other co-accused for possession of a stolen vehicle.

“The state asked for the matter to be postponed as three statements were still outstanding. The [investigating officer] also advised the court that fingerprints and DNA were lifted from the vehicle and they need to be analysed and a report obtained.”

This case has been postponed to 8 August for further investigation.

 

Done By: Mitchum George

Eviction order for various Cape Town CBD occupations granted

The Western Cape High Court has granted a final eviction order for various unlawful occupation sites in the Cape Town CBD.

The order relates to various unlawful occupation hotspots along Buitengracht Street, FW De Klerk Boulevard, Foregate Square, taxi rank and Foreshore, Helen Suzman Boulevard, Strand Street, Foreshore/N1, Virginia Avenue and Mill Street Bridge in the City.

PICTURE: Pixabay


The order includes a standing interdict against any further unlawful occupation of these areas and further City-owned public spaces by respondents identified in the application.

The ruling comes after a lengthy court process since the initial granting of an order for eviction notices to be served in February 2023. Judgment was eventually handed down on Tuesday.

Cape Town Mayor, Geordin Hill-Lewis said its Social Development officials have made repeated offers of social assistance to those unlawfully occupying public spaces in the city, including offers of dignified transitional shelter at NGO-run night shelters and City-run Safe Spaces.

Hill-Lewis welcomed the ruling.

‘’The City welcomes this order, which will enable the restoration of public places for all to use in Cape Town's CBD. The court has affirmed City Safe Spaces as dignified transitional shelter, and the offer of spaces at these facilities still stands for those who have not yet accepted. Accepting social assistance to get off the streets is the best choice for dignity, health, and well-being, and the City has gone to great lengths to extend every offer of care to individuals unlawfully occupying public places in various parts of the metro.’’

‘’Where offers of help to get off the streets have been persistently refused, we continue to seek the court's help as a last resort. No person has the right to reserve a public space as exclusively theirs, while indefinitely refusing all offers of shelter and social assistance,’’ he added.

ARCHIVE: Cape Town Mayor, Geordin Hill-Lewis, at Bush Radio


The High Court further granted the City two similar eviction orders in recent months for central Cape Town. The Sheriff carried out eviction orders for occupants living illegally at the Green Point Tennis Courts in February, and in the vicinity of the Nelson Mandela Boulevard intersection with Hertzog Boulevard, Old Marine Drive, and Christiaan Barnard Bridge on 10 April.

Hill-Lewis says next on the ‘eviction application’ are those surrounding the Castle of Good Hope by the land custodian, the national Department of Public Works.

 

Done By: Mitchum George

Gauteng man guilty of killing his son


A 29-year-old man, Ronald Ngobeni, has been found guilty by the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg for the murder of his 5-year-old son, Khayone Rivoningo Capu, two years ago.

According to the NPA, Ngobeni asked the child's grandparents to take him to the mall, but instead Ngobeni killed the boy and buried him in a shallow grave. The grandparents reported the child missing, and police later found the decomposed body with a fatal head injury.

Courtesy:Pixabay

In court, Ngobeni claimed he killed the child because he was angry at the boy's mother and grandmother, who had told him the child was not his and encouraged him to kill the boy if that would make him happy. The case has been postponed for further sentencing arguments.

 

Done by: Stephanie Van Rayen

Gas tank explosion in Bonteheuwel leaves 6 injured

Western Cape police are investigating an apparent gas tank explosion in Redberry Street, Bonteheuwel that occurred on Tuesday.

PICTURE: Pixabay


The police’s Joseph Swartbooi says six people sustained minor injuries.

‘’Bishop Lavis police responded to the complaint at around 4 o’clock the afternoon and found structural damages to the roof and walls of the house. We can confirm that six victims between the ages of 2 and 45, who sustained minor injuries were transported to a nearby hospital for medical treatment,’’ said Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi, Western Cape SAPS spokesperson.


Done by: Mitchum George

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Western Cape Task Force Investigates Alleged Kidnapping of UDM deputy president

Parliament has expressed deep shock and concern over the alleged kidnapping of UDM(United Democratic Movement) Deputy President, Ngabayomzi Kwankwa. However, they have expressed relief that has since been rescued and released, though the trauma of the incident remains.

Reports indicate  Kwankwa was en route to Cape Town International Airport when the attack occurred. Parliament has described this act of criminality as deeply troubling and has called on law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.


Done by: Stephanie Van Rayen


Wynberg Police seek assistance in finding murder suspect

 

Wynberg police are seeking the assistance of the public to trace the whereabouts of two suspects namely Siseko Joseph and Siyabonga Keneti. The two men are wanted on a murder case which happened in April.

On the 23rd April the victim and the suspects had an argument during which they assaulted him on the corner of Waterloo and Carhill Roads in Wynberg.

The victim died because of the injuries he sustained. The last known locations of the suspects were Khayelitsha and Macassar.

 

Police urge anyone with information that can lead to the arrests of the suspects is kindly requested to contact the investigating office Detective Warrant Officer Zilindile Lwana on 079 498 9937, Detective Sergeant Frederick Abrahams on 079 498 9946 or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

 

Done By: Elona Sibunzi

 


Police arrest Chinese National for dealing with illegal liquor in Strand

Yesterday police members ensued with a search which led to a liquor outlet situated in Abbeglen Street in the Strand, during which they confiscated liquor which did not meet the requirements for sale purposes. The estimated street value of the liquor is R450 000. 

 

As a result of the discovery, the members arrested a 48 year old Chinese national on charges related to dealing in counterfeit, illicit and illegal goods as well as the contravention of the Liquor Act 50/2003.

 

The suspect is due to make a court appearance in the Strand Magistrates’ court once he has been charged.

 

Done by: Elona Sibunzi

 

 

 

 

  

Western Cape police arrest suspects in connection with double murder and robbery

 

A 38-year-old suspect is expected to make his first court appearance in the Bellville Magistrates’ court after he was arrested on murder and attempted murder charges relating to a robbery of a bread truck in Symphony way, Delft on 15 May.

 

During the initial stage of the investigation, the suspect was identified but evaded arrests after many tracing operations were initiated.


Picture: Pixabay



On Sunday the investigating team followed up on information that the suspect was at the Delft Day Hospital for medical treatment after he was involved in a scuffle with community members who accused him of robbery.

The investigating team visited the hospital, recognised the suspect and placed him under arrests

The suspect is due to appear in court today, facing charges of murder, attempted murder and robbery aggravated.

 

IEC commissioner accused of fraud was granted R20k bail

The Independent Electoral Commission’s (IEC) Nomsa Masuku has been granted R20,000 bail following her appearance in court on a charge of fra...