Monday, June 20, 2016

City’s disaster centre says it’s on high alert after flooding this weekend

Christopher Petersen
20 June 2016


The City of Cape Town's Disaster Management Centre says it remains on high alert after flooding at the weekend. 

Some low-lying informal settlements have been affected by heavy rains across the Cape Peninsula. 

Non-governmental organisations are providing residents with hot meals, blankets and food parcels. 

So far the City said that no damage to property had been reported since the wet conditions wreaked havoc in the areas. 

Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security JP Smith confirmed that 33 different areas had been affected by the floods this year, which is half of the reported number last year. 

The City says it is hoping that wet conditions will clear by Thursday, but emergency plans are in place.

No comments:

Drunk officer out on bail after he drove into a bus in Mitchell's Plain

A police sergeant was released on R1 000 bail after he drove into a bus in Mitchell’s Plain on Monday morning. SCREENSHOT Western Cape pol...