Western Cape sporting legends honoured for their contribution to sport
The Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport hosted the Sport Legends Awards in Paarl today, honouring 18 sport legends from the Western Cape.
The MEC, Anroux Marais, and the department, celebrate sportspeople for their “contribution, promotion, growth, development and transformation of sport in their communities”.
Nominees are proposed by members of the public and sporting communities who felt that the relevant sport people made a significant contribution to sport, are regarded as icons within their community, dedicated their lives to their sporting code and played a role in sport and recreation prior to 1992.
“Now more than ever, the roles of individuals who shaped sport in the province should be celebrated and we are therefore privileged to officially recognize our sporting legends and encourage our youth to follow in their footsteps,” said Marais.
The 18 sport legends that were honoured at this year’s ceremony include:
1. Abdul Majiet Sait: Sport Association for the Physically Disabled
2. Amanda Stripp: Softball
3. Buyisile Kilifele: Rugby
4. Cherzeley Granville Zyster: Bodybuilding
5. Christina Susanna Muller: Netball
6. Colbin Yabo: Boxing
7. Eileen Christina Fortuin: Lifesaving
8. Isaac Arthur David Raubenheimer: Cricket
9. Dr Kevin James Du Plooy: Weightlifting
10. Maria Magdelena Horn: Netball
11. Marina Botma: Netball
12. Mathemba Sheasby Ndlumbini: Cricket
13. Micheal John William Noone: Badminton
14. Mlungisi Sidwell Madlingozi: Athletics
15. Norman Harold Cloete: Rugby
16. Rosetta Baartman: Football
17. William Heinrich Benn: Cricket
18. Zoran Slavkovic: Basketball
Done By: Caitlin Maledo