Debbie Schäfer resigns from her position as Western Cape’s Education MEC

Debbie Schäfer, has resigned from her position as Western Cape’s Education MEC. She handed in her resignation to Premier Alan Winde, on Wednesday, which he accepted.

Schäfer, who, has been the provincial MEC, for the past 8 years, will be immigrating to the United Kingdom, after she was accepted a job in the legal sector.

“I have been in politics now for twenty years, serving in all three spheres of government.  I believe I have made valuable contributions in each. It has been my great privilege to have served as Provincial Minister of Education in the Western Cape Government for the last eight years.  I believe I have left the Department in a better place than I found it, and am proud of the work that we have, together, achieved.’’

Schäfer, wished the new MEC, who is still to be announced, well in the position.

‘’I would like to thank former Premier Helen Zille for entrusting me with this responsibility and Premier Alan Winde for his leadership and support. Premier Winde has recently announced bold and exciting changes to the WCG and I am excited for what this will lead to. A new Minister of Education will be afforded an opportunity to both build on the tremendous work of our team to date as well as to introduce change with their own approach and ideas.’’

She says that her blood will remain blue, ‘’and have no intention of resigning my membership.’’

Schäfer’s last day in office is 15 May 2022.

Meanwhile, Premier Alan Winde is set to announce changes to his provincial cabinet on Friday, ‘’following a process of careful deliberation.’’

‘’We are determined to use this post-disaster moment to make the changes we need to move forward. As I announced during my State of the Province Address, in February, we must push back against going back to normal, and we must push forward to do even better. I intend to do just this so that we deliver on our priorities of jobs, safety and well-being for all,’’ said Winde.

 

PICTURE - WCED: MEC, Debbie Schäfer


Done By: Mitchum George

Comments

Popular Posts