Fire broke out at Singabalapha (We belong here) settlement in Observatory
A fire broke out at Singabalapha (we belong here) settlement on Main Road in Observatory, on Saturday evening.
The City’s Fire & rescue spokesperson, Jermaine Carelse, said firefighters responded to an informal structure burning at 21:08
‘’Crews from Wynberg, Roeland Street and Salt River fire stations attended to the scene with two fire engines, a water tanker and a rescue vehicle. It seems it was only one informal structure under a tree, measuring four by two meters, that was destroyed leaving six persons displaced.’’
The fire was extinguished at 21:39.
Carelse said the cause of the fire is due to a lighted candle that ignited combustible material. No injuries or fatalities were reported.
Singabalapha says however two homes were burned down
In a statement, chairperson Barbara Vuza, says that a resident cut his arm breaking his own window to get out of his home, Mase, also a resident, sprained her ankle fleeing her home, a baby had to go to hospital because of smoke inhalation.
Vuza is blaming the City for the cause of the fire, saying it’s a lack of basic services.
‘’The cause of the fire is the city's refusal to provide access to electricity and water for the settlement even though Singabalapha has written many letters to the City of Cape Town requesting access to basic services for their homes.’’
‘’This is something that the City is supposed to provide to every single household. According to the Constitution and various Concourt judgments, the municipality is legally required to provide access to basic services. It would cost the City of Cape Town very little to do this as there are already electricity power lines, electricity substations and boxes in the area. They just need to extend access and install electricity boxes. All other homes in the area have access to these and other basic services. But the City is refusing to provide this,’’ added Vuza.
Done By: Mitchum George