Four shot and killed in a bedroom of a Bishop Lavis residence

Four people were shot and killed in Bishop Lavis, on Friday evening.

SUPPLIED


Police confirmed that the incident which claimed the lives of two women and two men aged between 27 and 80-years-old occurred in Reƫnberg Street.

‘’ Preliminary information reveals that two unknown gunmen who fled from the scene in a VW Polo, accosted the four in a bedroom, opened fire and fatally shot the deceased who all succumbed on scene to the injuries they sustained in their upper bodies. Bishop Lavis SAPS registered four counts of murder. The motive forms part of ongoing investigation. No one has been arrested yet,’’ said Lt Col Malcolm Pojie, Western Cape police spokesperson.

The Bishop Lavis CPF condemned the incident

‘’The BLCPF calls on SAPS to increase visibility and to come forward with a plan thar will deal with the gang flare up currently in the Bishop Lavis Precinct. We further reiterate our call on SAPS Management to bring back the two well decorated and experienced Officers they transfered from Bishop Lavis last year in September or replace them with equally competent Officers.  We as community are asking again is the suffering of our community under violent crime not enough to warrant the attention and intervention of those who are mandated to keep the community safe,’’ said Graham Lindhorst, Bishop Lavis CPF chairperson.

Parliament’s Portfolio Committee Chairperson on Police, Ian Cameron, said more resources are needed to fight gang violence in the Cape.

‘’Case management and follow-through seemingly remain weak, with no immediate multi-disciplinary response, intelligence-led analysis, or territorial conflict mapping evident. This tragic incident exposes ongoing systemic failures in SAPS’s approach to gang violence in the Western Cape and underlines the urgent need for intelligence-led, professional investigations and proper resourcing of crime intelligence and detective services.’’

 

Done By: Mitchum George

Comments