New Cross Roads gets new facility

By Sasha Forbes
19 June 2009

The excitement was almost real when the City of Cape Town's Parks Department officially opened the Sakhela Park in New Cross Roads yesterday.

The facility was designed by City Parks to provide special play equipment for children with physical disabilities.

The City’s Councillor Gerhard Ras said that the park has special play equipment consisting of a unique two-seater swing, a two-seater see-saw and a four-seater roundabout.

“I was particularly moved when we were addressed by some representatives of the disabled community,” said Ras

“This is certainly not going to be our last initiative, we contemplating to open a similar facility in Mitchell’s Plain soon and I have certainly given the undertaking that we will explore further facilities of this nature within my department,” added Ras

Comments

As the wise say,... "There is no time as the present". I am a resident of New Crossroads and have been since I was an infant. I have only just spotted this article on our small community. I am in great appreciation of the parks built here. Children now have a place where they can be just that, children. It is a sight to behold seeing them play away in secure spaces, away from traffic and life's other injustices to them. So thank you to all involved in bringing this closer to home,...

Popular Posts