Monday, October 29, 2012

Lawyers threaten to stop the Marikana Commission of Inquiry

Mluleki Mrwebi
29 October 2012

The Marikana Commission of Inquiry was adjourned last week and it is expected to resume again today.

The Department of Justice is alleged to have decided to stop paying the transport and accommodation costs for the victims' families attending.

The Department’s Jacob Skhosana said some family members had offered to return back to their homes.

The lawyers representing victims' families in the Inquiry have threatened to make a high court application to halt proceedings.

Family members of the 34 miners shot dead by police on August 16th refute Skhosana`s statement.

Department of Justice Spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said they have not received a formal notification of legal action from the lawyers.

No comments:

Drunk officer out on bail after he drove into a bus in Mitchell's Plain

A police sergeant was released on R1 000 bail after he drove into a bus in Mitchell’s Plain on Monday morning. SCREENSHOT Western Cape pol...