Tuesday, February 23, 2021

97 more people succumbed to COVID-19 in SA

97 more people have succumbed to the coronavirus in South Africa, over the last 24 hours.

Of these, 30 are in the Free State, 22 in the Western Cape, 15 in Gauteng, 8 people each have died of COVID-19 related deaths in KwaZulu-Natal and Northern Cape, the Eastern Cape and Mpumalanga province each recorded 7 COVID-19 fatalities. This takes South Africa’s COVID-19 death toll to 49 150

South Africa’s COVID-19 daily infections continue to drop, with only 792 new infections being recorded, taking the total confirmed cases to 1 504 588.

1 413 566 people have recovered from the coronavirus in South Africa. This translates to a recovery rate of 93.9%

According to the National Health Department, the number of healthcare workers vaccinated under the Sisonke Programme has risen to 23 059 as of 22 February 2021.

Over 1 700 vaccines were administered to healthcare workers in the Western Cape, over the weekend, with 861 administered on Saturday and a further 932 administered on Sunday. A total of 2 756 vaccines had been administered to healthcare workers in the province by 5pm on Sunday.

‘’This is the biggest vaccination drive in the province and the country, with a number of technical and logistical moving parts. We have been working hard to ensure that the rollout has been smooth and to make adjustments as required. I am heartened by the growing number of vaccinations being administered daily.’’ Said Western Cape Premier, Alan Winde.

Healthcare workers who are interested in receiving the vaccine, and who have not yet done so, must register on the electronic system. Once registered, you will be allocated a vaccination and site to go for the vaccination.

Winde said that he had been receiving regular enquiries from the media and public asking whether he will be getting vaccinated, and said that while he does intend to get the vaccine he “will not be doing so at the expense of our health-care workers”.

 “They must be our priority. The entire Western Cape cabinet has made the same commitment to wait until it is our turn, in phases two and three of the vaccination roll-out.” Winde added.

Winde urged citizens to continue adhering to COVID-19 protocols.

‘’The rollout of this J&J vaccine implementation study is very exciting news but it does not mean we can let our guards down. We must continue to be vigilant and ensure that we are still wearing our masks correctly, washing our hands regularly and practicing social distancing. Avoiding crowds, close contact and confined spaces can help to prevent infection and protect you and your loved ones.’’


PICTURE: WCGov - Latest provincal COVID-19 cases


 

Done By: Mitchum George

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri