Wednesday, May 17, 2006

City holds SATAWU accountable for violence

By Megan Hartogh

The Cape Town unicity has announced that it condemns the violence that erupted during Tuesday’s SATAWU strike in the city centre.


According to the mayoral committee member for safety and security, Dumisani Ximbi, the city will be claiming damages sustained during the march, during which COSATU regional secretary, Tony Ehrenreich and Evan Abrahams, regional secretary of SATAWU, along with 39 others were arrested. During a press conference held earlier on Wednesday, Ximbi said that this would be done as SATAWU and its members broke various agreements made between them and the City, in order to have the march. He also announced that public meetings would be held in order to help those whose property was damaged during the strike. Meanwhile, those who were arrested on Tuesday, are currently appearing in the Cape Town Magistrate’s court. Ehrenreich and Abrahams’s bail has been set at two-thousand-rand, while bail for the 39 SATAWU members has been set at one-thousand-rand each.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 17 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is this going to end?

Can't these guys come up with some sort of compromise.

The situation is just getting worse and worse. How much property and lives must be damaged before they stop. The bosses should give in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri