Saturday, February 20, 2010

No freedom choice for fishers says DA

By Khanyisa Tabata
20 February 2010


The Democratic Alliance says the majority of perlemoen fishers are up in arms about plans to prevent them from selling their catches to buyers of their choice.

The party says while the conditional re-opening of perlemoen harvesting is welcomed, the fact that government is allowing a monopoly in the industry is causing concern.

Government last year banned all perlemoen harvesting, leaving hundreds of legal fishers unemployed. But it recently announced that the ban will be reversed.

DA member of Parliament Gareth Morgan says the single buyer system is not a good idea.

No comments:

Belvile Library fully operational again

Good news for library patrons attending in Bellville The City of Cape Town announced that the facility has resumed its normal operations aft...