By Jurina Nkwazi
23 September 2010
Eight prisoners escaped from the High Court in Johannesburg this morning, but seven were soon rearrested shortly thereafter. One prisoner is still on the run.
Gauteng police spokesperson Noxolo Kweza confirmed that the seven suspects had been re-arrested, some in the courthouse and the others in the streets of Johannesburg.
“The awaiting trial prisoners overpowered police at the court’s basement,” she said.
The suspects were to appear in court for murder and robbery.
On september 15, three awaiting trial prisoners escaped from their holding cell with the help of a sergeant in the Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court .
Kweza said police are investigating the possibility of misconduct, gross negligence and aiding prisoners to escape, against the officers.
Police are still searching for the eight prisoner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Belvile Library fully operational again
Good news for library patrons attending in Bellville The City of Cape Town announced that the facility has resumed its normal operations aft...

-
A man suspected of killing and raping a number of members of the farm worker community in Philippi on the Cape Flats appears in a Cape Town ...
-
''Human behaviour is the main cause of wildfires.'' These remarks were made by the Western Cape’s Local Government, Environm...
No comments:
Post a Comment