Attack leaves man paralysed
By Tando Mfengwana
15 September 2006
A 24-year-old man from Rondebosch was left paralysed after a night out with friends outside the corner of Main and Protea Road, Claremont at about 2am last Saturday.
The Cape Times reports that Andrew Merryweather, was paralysed from the waist down, and doctors have warned that his chances of full recovery are slender.
Merryweather could recollect little bit of the attack as the attackers came from behind.
The report says that despite the doctor’s diagnosis, the slightly built restaurant manager is disarmingly positive about his chances of recovery.
It is said that Merryweather was attacked by eight men whom police reservist said were larger that him.
His parents Joy Smith and Peter Merryweather have kept vigil at Groote Schuur’s D7 advanced spinal ward since Sunday.
Merryweather did say that he did not recognise his attackers and could not explain what provoked the attack.
The report says that eight suspects appeared for identification parade on Wednesday, Police spokesperson Captain Randall Stoffels said that no arrests have yet been made, and that the docket had been referred to the public prosecutor.
The previous charge had been assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, but this was changed to a charge of attempted murder given the nature of the injuries.