31 October 2012
The Minister of Police Nathi Mthethwa today said he is challenging the Premier of the Western Cape Helen Zille legally, concerning the establishment of the Commission of Inquiry in Khayelitsha.
Mthethwa spokesperson Zweli Mnisi said the legal team is currently finalising the papers and are expected to be filed before the end of this week.
Mthethwa questions the motives behind the commission’s foundation as it appears to spotlights the South African Police Services and sidelines the Western Cape metro police.
Mnisi said “we are not looking at a segmented solution; we are looking at the holistic solution which will help us deal with the issue of crime, not only in Khayelitsha but across the Western Cape.”
The commission, on Wednesday went ahead with its job in spite of threats of lawsuit.
On Tuesday, subpoenas were served to provincial police commissioner Arno Lamoer and the station commanders of Khayelitsha, Lingelethu and Harare police stations.
A subpoena had already been sent last week to, the acting provincial head of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate Lamla Tyhalisisu.
Premier Helen Zille’s spokesman, Zak Mbhele said Zille will not make any statements until she has received a court order.
Labels: Mthethwa challenges WC Premier about Khayelithsa Commission of Inquiry