Friday, July 16, 2010

Mthethwa, Zille and Cwele address the media on Xenophobic outbreaks

By Lelethu Mquqo
16 July 2010

Minister of South African Police Service Nathi Mthethwa together with Western Cape Premier Helen Zille say plans implemented to try and prevent xenophobic threats and violence are working.

Addressing a media briefing in parliament today, Mthethwa said Inter Ministerial Committee got together last week and took the decision to engage Local and Provincial Government in their plans of prevention.

He added that the committee also decided to involve other independent organisations, media being one of them, in a call to work together in fighting impossible outbreaks of xenophobia.

Zille responded by saying, she was pleased with the minister for responding very positively to their request to be included in the ICM. She added that the challenge of xenophobia and all tragedies that result from it must be prevented.

“This is not a party political issue, but is an issue we all need to work together and agree on plans, agree on routes and address those routes” said Zille.

Amongst the officials at the briefing was Minister of State Security Siyabonga Cwele who agreed that xenophobia is a criminal act which to takes advantage of foreign nationals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri