Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Amnesty International SA condemns the violent xenophobic attacks

Mbasa Gqokoma
15 April 2015

Amnesty International South Africa says government needs to do more to stop the xenophobic violence in KwaZulu Natal.

About four people have been killed and shops of foreign-nationals looted in widespread attacks against refugees in Durban.

In a statement Amnesty International SA Director Sicel’mpilo Shange-Buthane says the local government authorities bear a responsibility to address tensions and threats rapidly as they emerge.

Buthane says we do believe that this situation has really been led to happen because of the prevailing culture of impunity in the country.

For instance, after the 2008 xenophobic violence there had been people who had been arrested and how many of those have been sentenced.

We are calling now for a thorough investigation and that those who are found responsible for instigating the violence are really brought to book and sentenced because that will really send a strong message, Buthane added.




Post a Comment

<< Home

Ilmainen www-laskuri