Monday, March 30, 2015

Shabangu welcomed decision by the WCHC to reject an appeal by a suspect

Jaimie-faith Poonah
30 March 2015

Minister in the Presidency responsible for Women Susan Shabangu last week welcomed the decision by the Western Cape High Court to reject an appeal by a suspect on a case of Ukuthwala.

33-year-old Mvumeleni Jezile was in 2014 sentenced to 22-years in jail on three counts of rape, one count of human trafficking and one of assault.

He also forcefully married a 14-year-old girl in 2009. In a statement Minister Shabangu said government would continue in its endeavours to ensure that the democratic rights of women and children are protected.

Ministerial Spokesperson Motalatale Modiba said on the one hand they send a message that cultural practices can no longer be used to violate the rights of women and children, and yet on the other side they say to other perpetrators that the arm of the law is not short, and time will not erase crime committed.

Modiba said ultimately perpetrators will have to face the might of the law.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri