Wednesday, September 02, 2015

City says it will not be bullied by Langa residents

Loyiso Langeni
02 September 2015

City of Cape Town said it will not be intimidated by Langa residents. This after protesters set alight the City’s Disaster Risk Management Volunteer Centre and also disrupted service delivery. 

Residents were protesting for houses. They claim that they have been on the waiting-list but have not received any houses.

Mayoral Committee Member for Human Settlements, Councillor Benedicta van Minnen claims that the City met with thirty residents but they chose not to cooperate.

She added that the City’s massive flagship hostel transformation project in Langa has been underway. The first beneficiaries, some of whom have been waiting for decades for a decent housing opportunity, were scheduled to move into units last week.

“The ongoing protests and instigation by a small group of youths, who are not representing the interest of the broader community of Langa, prevented this from happening. Construction was suspended due to the ongoing protest action in this area.” Van Minnen said. 



Post a Comment

<< Home

Ilmainen www-laskuri