A new hijacking scam in Cape Town

Lusanda Bill
30 November 2010

Police in Cape Town have revealed that there is a new scam and are warning motorists to be careful.

Police spokesperson Godfrey Tawana said, “They create a body like a doll and throw it on the road with the intention that if someone stops, they can be robbed or hijacked.”

What the criminals do is they will place the life-size doll on the road to make the motorist think someone has been knocked down, and when motorist slow down to try and help the criminals attack you.

So far a resident who lives in Strand was victim of the scam but luckily she managed to get away, without being hurt.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Last night at about 8, I was driving home and just after the blouberg turn-off between Durbnaville and Bothasig, I saw an woman alone next to a car standing on the side of the road. Usually I wouldn't stop, but I felt sorry for her in the middle of nowhere and I stopped. She told me that her car had broken and she needed R280 for a tow truck. She said she will transfer the money to my account.

I was really silly and gave her the money. It was a scam. I feel really stupid for getting caught, but want other people to know so that they do not fall in the same trap.

The details of the person is: Small blue or black car. I think the woman is in her early thirties, but she looks really weathered and closer to 50. I noticed that she had a taser on her. When I drove away, I also saw that there was a man in the car ...very short hair ... he must have been hiding. I googled the scam when I got home and apparently that is how these people operate ... there are always 2 of them and they take turns sleeping and scamming.

When I told my friends it seems that many of them knew about this couple operating in Blouberg/Bothasig/Durbanville area.

Popular Posts